Monday, January 11, 2010

Racism in......THE WORLD

The other day I randomly went to a comedy show (something I can't recall ever doing) hanging out with Dr. Kay Hay, and a comedian kept talking about how racist this one Australian commercial was. Then before I could even get home to search for this video, out of sheer coincidence, one of my friends send this in one of our infinite email threads, simply asking "Is this racist?"



WARNING!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IN AN ACTUAL GROUP OF BLACK PPL. THE OUTCOME MAY BE BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH. THE EVENTS OF THIS COMMERCIAL ARE FICTITIOUS, ACTUAL RESULTS MAY VARY.

...and then you know you can't just watch one video. "Related videos" are the devil!! This Korean commercial is even worse than the first one.....


Sidenote: I have one of a few circles of brilliantly intelligent, witty funny, positive males who have been running an email thread that's about 5 yrs old. We have some of the most amazing, vulgar, thought provoking, hilarious conversations ever...note to self. Clear inbox.

Sidernote: I hate the fact that when I go to .....video...posting...sites, its never an in and out operation. If it were a heist, I'd get caught. Soon as I go, first off they're recommending videos before I can even type. Then, there's "related videos..." plus my A.D.D. Next thing I know, I'm watching dance videos, booty shake clips, fitness videos, documentaries, news clips, videogame strategies, and somehow, every video online will eventually link you to conspiracy theories. 48 minutes dun gon on by and I haven't even looked at what I came to the site for...if I can even remember.
This is why I tell my friends and colleagues all the time you have to always be cognizant about the image you are emanating whenever you are out in public. ESPECIALLY if you are entrenched in environments that take you out of the element of your "comfort zone" and remind you what the term "minority" means.
Sidenote: And so we're clear, minority is a relative term, not isolating and specific race. Asians are a minority in this country.........but not at any engineering school in this country.
Sidenote: My friend Jose Nievez (my comedic partner in crime and co-star of our award winning show, "Eff you, Its funny to us" who I probably should invite to guestblog sometime) told me, in response to Racism in America/ Black Eye of the Tiger 2:

"Your blog pic looks like the back of Tiger Wood's photo, so does that make the person who took the picture racist?" What a dick.......eff yall, it was funny to me.
So simple question: Are these videos racist? Or am I over analyzing?......AGAIN?

1 comment:

MsMcFierce said...

at good ole rippie Asians are considered a minority even in engineering :-) n this was reallly super racist